Property RIghts in Keys

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Fri Feb 13 16:25:30 EST 2009

[Moderator's note: I've been clamping down on the IP discussion since
not much more really new was being said, but I'm allowing this through
because it brings up an interesting side point -- I will reply to it
to move to that discussion. --Perry]

* Perry E. Metzger:

> However, a cert seems almost certainly *not* to be IP.
>
> 1) It can't be a trade secret, it is published.
> 2) It can't be patented.
> 3) It can't be copyrighted, it contains no creativity.

4) It can't be trademarked because the company named in the DN is long
   gone

(It's quite strange that so many of the browser root certs use DNs
which aren't correct anymore.)