Property RIghts in Keys

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Thu Feb 12 14:33:33 EST 2009

Donald Eastlake <d3e3e3 at gmail.com> writes:
> On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 12:58 PM, Perry E. Metzger <perry at piermont.com> wrote:
>> sbg at acw.com writes:
>>
>> There are four kinds of intellectual property. Is it a trade secret?
>> No. Is it a trademark or something allied like trade dress? No. Is it
>> patentable? No. Is it copyrightable? No.
>
> So, depending on how creative the extension fields are :-), or may not
> dependent on that, why isn't it copyrightable?

Perhaps if you put an original novel into an extension field you can
manage it. I don't think GeoTrust was doing anything like that.

Again, though, one has to question what is even to be gained by the
most avaricious of CAs by claiming rights in their certs. It isn't
like there is some clear benefit.

Perry