Property RIghts in Keys

Darren J Moffat Darren.Moffat at Sun.COM
Thu Feb 12 14:26:40 EST 2009

I'm can if I squint enough see some cases where the protections of
copyright/license and trademark might come into the needs of certs.

1. You don't really want a derivative work - eg the same non crypto
elements in a new cert :-)

2. Some of the non crypto elements maybe trademarked names, eg the
subject and/or issuer.

3. A CA cert really is only issued as a Trust Anchor and shouldn't
really be used for anything else.

However I don't really see a need to attempt to assert this in legal (or
more likely attempted legal) terms.  Given they are all implicit in the
meaning of what a CA cert is and why it exists.

--
Darren J Moffat