street prices for digital goods?

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Thu Sep 11 02:19:10 EDT 2008

David Molnar <dmolnar at eecs.berkeley.edu> writes:

>Dan Geer's comment about the street price of heroin as a metric for success
>has me thinking - are people tracking the street prices of digital underground
>goods over time?

I've been (very informally) tracking it for awhile, and for generic data (non-
Platinum credit cards, PPal accounts, and so on) it's essentially too cheap to
meter, you often have to buy the stuff in blocks (10, 20, 50 at a time) to
make it worth the sellers while.  I haven't tracked the big-ticket items like
PPal accounts with guaranteed minimum balances (rather than just any generic
PPal account) because the offerings are too ephemeral, you might get "PPal
with minimum $5K balance" advertised for a few weeks, then "Platinum Visa" for
a few weeks, and then something else again.

>I'm curious because it would be interesting to look at the "street price" for
>a specific online bank's logins before and after the bank makes a change to
>its security practices. (One not particularly great example of a change:
>adopting EV certs.) Alternatively, look at the price of some good before and
>after a prosecution. If this has already been done, my apologies, I'd
>appreciate the pointer.

I'm not aware of anyone having done this, mostly because the data doesn't seem
to be available.  The phishers don't sell (e.g.) BofA accounts specifically,
they sell whatever's available - you get a block of X accounts or cards from
various banks, whatever's at hand when you buy.  The only way to see whether a
measure was effective would be to keep buying blocks over time and see what
the mix of banks was, and even then it'd be pretty unscientific because you'd
be getting lots from random phishing sources or data thefts which might
(coincidentally) be targetting one particular bank and not another.  Given the
diverse sources for this stuff, it's likely that even the vendors only have a
vague idea of what the statistics are.

Peter.