once more, with feeling.

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Tue Sep 9 16:36:45 EDT 2008

Peter Gutmann wrote:
> Unfortunately I think the only way it (and a pile of other things as well) may
> get stamped out is through a multi-pronged approach that includes legislation,
> and specifically properly thought-out requirements rather than big-business-
> bought legislation like UCITA/UCC or easily-circumvented recommendations like
> the FFIEC ones (the banks quickly discovered that by redefining "two-factor
> auth" to mean "twice as much one-factor auth" they could meet the requirements
> without having to do anything to improve security).

The average cryptographic expert finds it tricky to set up something
that is actually secure.  The average bureaucrat could not run a pie
stand.  Legislation and so forth requires wise and good legislators and
administrators, which is unlikely.

Visualize Obama, McCain, or Sarah Palin setting up your network
security.  Then realize that whoever they appoint as Czar in charge of
network security is likely to be less competent than they are.