once more, with feeling.

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Tue Sep 9 07:24:49 EDT 2008

Darren J Moffat <Darren.Moffat at Sun.COM> writes:

>I believe the only way both of these highly dubious deployment practices will
>be stamped out is when the browsers stop allowing users to see such web pages.

Unfortunately I think the only way it (and a pile of other things as well) may
get stamped out is through a multi-pronged approach that includes legislation,
and specifically properly thought-out requirements rather than big-business-
bought legislation like UCITA/UCC or easily-circumvented recommendations like
the FFIEC ones (the banks quickly discovered that by redefining "two-factor
auth" to mean "twice as much one-factor auth" they could meet the requirements
without having to do anything to improve security).

I'm saying that under the influence of "Zero Day Threat" by Byron Acohido and
Jon Swartz, which looks at some of the financial and credit-reporting industry
practices that make identity fraud possible.  If you haven't read this
already, go and get it now, apart from the annoyingly frequent context-
switching between threads (one every few pages instead of the more usual one
per chapter) it's a very scary read.  Given what it reveals about how the US
financial/credit reporting industry works it should really be subtitled "We're
all going to die", since there's no obvious handbrake mechanism present in the
system to slow down identity theft - the rate-limiting step is the fact that
the crooks simply can't use all the stolen identities they have, not any
security measures that may be present.  If you don't believe me, visit any of
the hits from the following search:

  http://www.google.com/search?q=fullz+dumps

(that's the easiest way to demo the problem to the masses without requiring
people to learn to read cyrillic first :-).

Yup, we're all going to die.

>So that there becomes a directly attributable financial impact to the sites
>that deploy in that way.

The "financial impact" point is the key word, at the moment it's cheaper and
easier for the banks/credit reporting companies to be non-compliant/insecure
than it is for them to be secure.  I'm not sure that the browser is the most
effective way to hit them over this though.

Discuss :-).

Peter.