Quiet in the list...

Darren J Moffat Darren.Moffat at Sun.COM
Mon Sep 8 04:59:14 EDT 2008

Peter Gutmann wrote:
> IanG <iang at systemics.com> writes:
>
>> 4.  Skype.  Doesn't do email, but aside from that minor character flaw, it
>> cracked everything else.  It's the best example of what it should look like.
>
> The UI still leaves quite a lot to be desired.  Try sitting a non-geek user in
> front of a fresh Skype install and see how long it takes them to figure out
> how to make a phonecall to (say) a Skype user name supplied via email.  I've
> seen times of 15+ minutes to make the first call (OK, so I treat neighbours
> and family as UI guinea pigs :-).  Skype still has a lot of fundamental
> usability flaws like the inability to remember a password (requiring it to be
> manually re-entered each time it's run unless you choose to start Skype on
> system boot) that make it a less-than-perfect example of usable security.

I don't know what OS you are running Skype on but for me on MacOS X I
never have to enter my Skype password because it is saved in the MacOS X
keyring and Skype isn't set to start at system boot (user login really)
for my account.

--
Darren J Moffat