data rape once more, with feeling.

John Gilmore gnu at toad.com
Sun Oct 26 03:27:46 EDT 2008

"Usability research" about how to track web users?  How Google-like.
Can't you just dump a 25-year cookie on them from twelve different
directions, and be done with it?

> Federated Login has been a "holy grail" in the identity community
> for a long time.  We have known how to do the technical part for a
> long time.  However the industry has constantly tried, and failed,
> to find a model that was (1) simple for end users, and (2) had a
> reasonable trust model between the RP (the relying party, which is
> the site you want to log into) and the IDP (the identity provider,
> who will identify you to the RP).

Explicitly ignoring the trust model between the end users and the RP,
and the trust between the end users and the IDP.  Why should end users
trust your web site?  Why should they trust an IDP like Google?

It's not that every website that requires a login is a privacy swamp.
But the big ones pretty much all are, and those are the ones who want
to impose this new model without bothering the end user's little head
about whether he should trust them.

And if every little wiki that just uses logins to slightly limit spam
today, began using "federated identity", then ALL of them would become
privacy swamps.

> For example, the site might require users to agree to a Terms of Service.

Let's see an example of how you're automating how the USER might
require the SITE to agree to a Terms of Service.  Doesn't seem to be
part of the model, which is that the SITE has something valuable it
needs lawyers to protect, while the USER is just an
eyeball-with-attached-wallet to be sold to the highest bidder.

> When users are presented with a traditional signup page that asks
> for E-mail, password, & password confirmation, it is quite common
> for 30-50% of users to not finish the process.

I wonder why not!  Perhaps they do not want to be tracked, numbered,
wiretapped, monitored, herded, logged, datamined, folded, spindled,
and mutilated.  Perhaps they just want to look at a web site without
tying their reading habits to their social security number and
their medical records.

Similar percentages describe how many people lie through their teeth
to get into random websites.  So half won't even login, half of those
will lie like hell; a quarter of the people either think you're
trustworthy, or are too stupid to care.  Which fraction is "federated
identity" aimed at?  Catching the liars, i.e. fencing in the people
who actually take care to protect their privacy?  Yeah, those are
the guys this community wants you to screw as hard as you can. :-(

> In this scenario, buy.com could detect that the domain name is for
> an IDP that it trusts.  It could then redirect the user to AOL to
> verify their identity.  Assuming the user approves sharing their
> identity, then the user will be redirected back to buy.com which can
> automatically create an account for them, and log them in.

That's an interesting assumption.  Why would you assume that AOL would
give users the choice?  AOL is not famous for choice.  Wouldn't AOL
just read the user's 25-year AOL cookie, and redirect the browser back
to buy.com with full account information supplied, without any
interaction with the user at all?  AOL could probably even charge the
RP a few bucks for doing so.  How simple.  How evil.  Franchising your
privacy violations.

> The RP can control what IDPs it trusts, and even switch their users
> back to legacy logins if the IDP becomes untrustworthy

You can pretty well guarantee that RP websites will somehow decline to
trust any IDP that provides privacy to the end user -- like
mailinator.com, for example.  A few web sites that "send you an email
to verify you are who you say you are" already blacklist mailinator,
though it's usually easy to bypass the blacklist by using one of its
alternative domain names.

	John