voting by m of n digital signature?

Richard Salz rsalz at us.ibm.com
Sun Nov 9 14:50:47 EST 2008

> Is there a way of constructing a digital signature so
> that the signature proves that at least m possessors of
> secret keys corresponding to n public keys signed, for n
> a dozen or less, without revealing how many more than m,
> or which ones signed?

Yes there are a number of ways.  Usually they involve splitting the
private key so that when a quorum of fragment signatures are done, they
can be combined and the result verified by the public key.   Look for
multi-step signing or threshold signatures, for example.

Disclaimer: I worked at CertCo who had the "best" technology in this area.
It was created for SET.
        /r$

--
STSM, DataPower Chief Programmer