The perils of security tools

Eric Young eay at pobox.com
Sat May 24 06:10:21 EDT 2008

>   #ifndef PURIFY
>                 MD_Update(&m,buf,j); /* purify complains */
>   #endif

I just re-checked, this code was from SSLeay, so it pre-dates OpenSSL
taking over from me
(about 10 years ago, after I was assimilated by RSA Security).

So in some ways I'm the one at fault for not being clear enough about
why 'purify complains' and why it was not relevant.
Purify also incorrectly companied about a construct used in the digest
gathering code which functioned correctly, but purify was
also correct (a byte in a read word was uninitialised, but it was later
overwritten by a shifted byte).

One of the more insidious things about Purify is that once its
complaints are investigated, and deemed irrelevant (but left in the
library),
anyone who subsequently runs purify on an application linking in the
library will get the same purify warning.
This leads to rather distressed application developers.  Especially if
their company has a policy of 'no purify warnings'.

One needs to really ship the 'warning ignore' file for purify (does
valgrind have one?).

I personally do wonder why, if the original author had purify related
comments, which means he was aware of the issues,
but had still left the code in place, the reviewer would not consider
that the code did some-thing important enough to
ignore purify's complaints.

eric