Question re Turing test and image recognition

Allen netsecurity at sound-by-design.com
Fri May 16 11:36:42 EDT 2008

Hi gang,

In looking at captchas that have been broken via software it
dawned on me that the amount of "mental processing" involved is
actually very little. I'm interested in what the current state of
image recognition via software of things like knowing the
difference between a monkey and a cat or a child laughing or just
happy and the degree of reliability of the differentiation. I've
done a bit of looking around and don't find much. Does anyone
have knowledge of or a  pointer to someone who might know where
to look about this?

Thanks,

Allen