The perils of security tools

Ben Laurie ben at links.org
Tue May 13 09:10:45 EDT 2008

[Moderator's note: A quick reminder: please use ASCII except if you
need Unicode to spell your name right. Microsoft's proprietary quote
marks are not a standard and don't look right on non-Microsoft
displays. I edited them out of this by hand. --Perry]

Debian have a stunning example of how blindly fixing "problems" pointed
out by security tools can be disastrous.

I've blogged about it here: http://www.links.org/?p=327

Vendors Are Bad For Security

I've ranted about this at length before, I'm sure - even in print, in
O'Reily's Open Sources 2. But now Debian have proved me right (again)
beyond my wildest expectations. Two years ago, they "fixed" a "problem"
in OpenSSL reported by valgrind[1] by removing any possibility of adding
any entropy to OpenSSL's pool of randomness[2].

The result of this is that for the last two years (from Debian's "Edgy"
release until now), anyone doing pretty much any crypto on Debian (and
hence Ubuntu) has been using easily guessable keys. This includes SSH
keys, SSL keys and OpenVPN keys.

What can we learn from this? Firstly, vendors should not be fixing
problems (or, really, anything) in open source packages by patching them
locally - they should contribute their patches upstream to the package
maintainers. Had Debian done this in this case, we (the OpenSSL Team)
would have fallen about laughing, and once we had got our breath back,
told them what a terrible idea this was. But no, it seems that every
vendor wants to "add value" by getting in between the user of the
software and its author.

Secondly, if you are going to fix bugs, then you should install this
maxim of mine firmly in your head: never fix a bug you don't understand.
I'm not sure I've ever put that in writing before, but anyone who's
worked with me will have heard me say it multiple times.

Incidentally, while I am talking about vendors who are bad for security,
it saddens me to have to report that FreeBSD, my favourite open source
operating system, are also guilty. Not only do they have local patches
in their ports system that should clearly be sent upstream, but they
also install packages without running the self-tests. This has bitten me
twice by installing broken crypto, most recently in the py-openssl package.

[1] Valgrind is a wonderful tool, I recommend it highly.

[2] Valgrind tracks the use of uninitialised memory. Usually it is bad
to have any kind of dependency on uninitialised memory, but OpenSSL
happens to include a rare case when its OK, or even a good idea: its
randomness pool. Adding uninitialised memory to it can do no harm and
might do some good, which is why we do it. It does cause irritating
errors from some kinds of debugging tools, though, including valgrind
and Purify. For that reason, we do have a flag (PURIFY) that removes the
offending code. However, the Debian maintainers, instead of tracking
down the source of the uninitialised memory instead chose to remove any
possibility of adding memory to the pool at all. Clearly they had not
understood the bug before fixing it.

P.S. I'd link to the offending patch in Debian's source repository. If I
could find a source repository. But I can't.

--
http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html           http://www.links.org/