SSL and Malicious Hardware/Software

Peter Thoenen eol1 at yahoo.com
Mon May 5 09:50:40 EDT 2008

>> For an unproxied site, I get a small green window with my own choice
>> of text in it (e.g. "Gmail" if I'm visiting https://mail.google.com).
>> If a proxy were to insert itself in the middle, that window would
>> turn yellow, and the message would change to "(untrusted)".
>>
> Assorted user studies suggest that most users do not notice the color
> of random little windows in their browsers...

Ja I have always wondered why the entire browser color scheme doesn't
change ... granted users would just ignore it or complain it messes with
their skins / schemes but still would be appreciated ... I myself hardly
pay attention to the lock (its simply unobtrusive in a status bar full
of other applets and addons) and I know better :)

/me wonders if their is a security UI list