User interface, security, and "simplicity"

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Sun May 4 20:55:52 EDT 2008

Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
 > IPsec operates at layer 3, where there are (generally)
 > no user contexts.  This makes it difficult to bind
 > IPsec credentials to a user, which means that it
 > inherently can't be as simple to configure as ssh.
 >
 > Put another way, when you tell an sshd whom you wish
 > to log in as, it consults that user's home directory
 > and finds an authorized_keys file. How can IPsec -- or
 > rather, any key management daemon for IPsec -- do
 > that?  Per-user SPDs?  Is this packet for port 80 for
 > user pat or user chris?
 >
 > I can envision ways around this (especially if we have
 > an IP address per user of a system -- I've been
 > writing about fine-grained IP address assignment for
 > years), but they're inherently a lot more complex than
 > ssh.

This is a particular case of the layer problem I have
been ranting about for years:  Private and authenticated
sessions at layer X do not in themselves correspond to
private and authenticated sessions at layer Y, and for
users to arrange their affairs so that layer X does
indeed secure layer Y generally requires users to stand
on their heads and stick their right big toe in their
left ear.