OpenSparc -- the open source chip (except for the crypto parts)

Alexander Klimov alserkli at inbox.ru
Sun May 4 03:32:05 EDT 2008

On Thu, 1 May 2008, zooko wrote:
> I would think that it also helps if a company publishes the source
> code and complete verification tools for their chips, such as Sun has
> done with the Ultrasparc T2 under the GPL.

To be sure that implementation does not contain back-doors, one needs
not only some source code but also a proof that the source code one
has is the source of the implementation. With open-source software one
can get such a proof by compiling the source themself (as far as they
trust their compiler toolchain), but I don't see any way to get such a
proof for non-FPGA hardware.

--
Regards,
ASK