New result in predicate encryption: disjunction support

Ivan Krstić krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu
Fri May 2 20:27:14 EDT 2008

This is fairly interesting: AFAIK the first generalization of
predicate encryption to support disjunctions. I find the result mostly
interesting mathematically, since I expect we won't be seeing
predicate encryption in widespread use anytime soon due to complexity
and regulatory concerns. --IK

"Predicate Encryption Supporting Disjunctions, Polynomial Equations,
and Inner Products"
Jonathan Katz and Amit Sahai and Brent Waters

Preprint: <http://eprint.iacr.org/2007/404>

Abstract: Predicate encryption is a new paradigm generalizing, among
other things, identity-based encryption. In a predicate encryption
scheme, secret keys correspond to predicates and ciphertexts are
associated with attributes; the secret key SK_f corresponding to the
predicate f can be used to decrypt a ciphertext associated with
attribute I if and only if f(I)=1. Constructions of such schemes are
currently known for relatively few classes of predicates.
We construct such a scheme for predicates corresponding to the
evaluation of inner products over N (for some large integer N). This,
in turn, enables constructions in which predicates correspond to the
evaluation of disjunctions, polynomials, CNF/DNF formulae, or
threshold predicates (among others). Besides serving as what we feel
is a significant step forward in the theory of predicate encryption,
our results lead to a number of applications that are interesting in
their own right.

--
Ivan Krstić <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> | http://radian.org