[p2p-hackers] convergent encryption reconsidered -- salting and key-strengthening

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Mon Mar 31 15:19:02 EDT 2008

On Mar 31, 2008, at 4:47 AM, Ivan Krstić wrote:

> Tahoe doesn't run this service either. I can't use it to make guesses
> at any of the values you mentioned. I can use it to make guesses at
> whole documents incorporating such values, which is in most cases a
> highly non-trivial distinction.

The way that I would phrase this is that convergent encryption
exposes whatever data is put into it, in whatever batch-size is put
into it, to brute-force/dictionary attacks.

If the data that you put in is unguessable, then you needn't worry
about these attacks.  (Likewise, as Ben Laurie reminds us, using
strong passwords is a sufficient defense against these attacks on
passwords.)

You correctly emphasize that typical convergent encryption services
(which operate on "files", or, in the case of GNUnet, on 32 KiB
blocks), and typical uses of those services (which typically store
"files" as produced by apps written for traditional filesystems),
batch together data in such a way that the aggregate is more likely
to be unguessable than if each field were stored separately.  I don't
disagree with this observation.

I am often reminded of Niels Ferguson's and Bruce Schneier's dictum,
in the excellent _Practical_Cryptography_, that security needs to be
a *local* property.  They argue that one should be able to tell
whether a component is secure by inspecting that component itself,
rather than by reasoning about interactions between that component
and other components.

Concretely, convergent encryption with a per-user added secret, as
currently implemented in Tahoe, can be shown to guarantee
confidentiality of the data, regardless of what the data is.

Traditional convergent encryption can be shown to offer
confidentiality only with the proviso that the data put into it
conform to certain criteria -- criteria that cannot be verified by a
computer nor by a user who is not a skilled security expert.

You may argue that the chance that a user would put non-comformant
data into it is small.  I don't necessarily disagree, although before
I became willing to bet on it I would require more quantitative
investigation.

However, arguing that component A is secure as long as component B
behaves a certain way, and that component B is very likely to behave
that way, is a different sort of argument than arguing that component
A is secure regardless of the behavior of component B.

For one thing, the behavior of component B may change in the future.
Concretely, people may write apps that store data in Tahoe in a way
that previous apps didn't.  Those people will almost certainly be
completely unaware of the nature of convergent encryption and brute-
force/dictionary attacks.

Now obviously making the security properties of a system modular in
this way might impose a performance cost.  In the case of Tahoe, that
cost is the loss of universal convergence.  Allmydata.com analyzed
the space savings due to convergence among our current customers and
found that it was around 1% savings.  We (allmydata.com) intend to
monitor the potential savings of universal convergence in an on-going
way, and if it turns out that there are substantial benefits to be
gained then I will revisit this issue and perhaps I will be forced to
rely on an argument of the other form -- that users are unlikely to
use it in an unsafe way.

Thank you again for your thoughtful comments on this issue.

Regards,

Zooko O'Whielacronx