Politics 1, security 0

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Mon Mar 3 05:43:35 EST 2008

Microsoft recently published the specs for a pile of previously undocumented
or semi-documented protocols and data formats.  One of them covers the
atrociously-named Health Certificates, which have nothing to do with
healthcare but are used to indicate compliance of systems with security
policies.  A system obtains a health certificate from a server which
encapsulates its compliance with the security policy, and other systems can
then verify the compliance by checking the cert rather than having to perform
the check of the system itself.  The object identifier associated with this
usage is 1 3 6 1 4 1 311 47 1 1.

This leads to a small problem: Since health certificates are now desirable,
everyone wants one.  The problem is that non-compliant systems can't get one
because the very purpose of a health cert is to prove compliance with a
security policy and non-compliant systems are, well, non-compliant.

To work around this, there's a second identifier 1 3 6 1 4 1 311 47 1 3 which
is used to provide health certs for systems that don't qualify for health
certs, so they can have their health certs too.

(I've encountered many examples of business and politics messing up security,
 but I think this one must qualify as some kind of poster boy).

Peter.