The wisdom of the ill informed

Allen netsecurity at sound-by-design.com
Mon Jun 30 10:16:17 EDT 2008

Arshad Noor wrote:
> While programmers or business=people could be ill-informed, Allen,
> I think the greater danger is that IT auditors do not know enough
> about cryptography, and consequently pass unsafe business processes
> and/or software as being secure.
>
> This is the reason why we in the OASIS Enterprise Key Management
> Infrastructure Technical Committee have made educating IT Auditors
> and providing them guidelines on how to audit symmetric key-management
> infrastructures, one of the four (4) primary goals of the TC.  While
> the technology is well understood by most people on this forum, until
> we educate the gate-keepers, we have failed in our jobs to secure IT
> infrastructure.

Yep. It seems like we've had a bit of this conversation recently,
haven't we? ;-> And it is not just the gatekeepers, but also the
users who need education. We know that we will not have enough
"gatekeepers" to watch all users and uses.

Given this, the real question is, /"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"/
(Given as either "Who will watch the watchers themselves?" or "Who
will guard the guardians?" from Juvenal.) Here we have the perfect
examples of the conundrum in No Such Agency or the Company, who
evade oversight or it is so obfuscated that the watchers at the
political level either don't know what is really going on or they
are complicit. Funny how something as off the main track of society
as cryptography still reflects the identical problems of the greater
whole, isn't it?

I also argue that badly structured protocol requirements that
potentially obfuscate what is going on is a serious issue as well.
Then too, there is documentation that does not get down to the bare
metal, so to speak, so that those who are not skilled at reading
code, and its implications, can understand what is going on. The
Romans knew that and mad it law: /Quod non est in actis, non est in
mundo./ ("What is not in the documents does not exist")

All of this requires team thinking so that everyone who is looking
at the issues involved, no matter from what direction, creator,
auditor or end user, gets "it."

Allen