Ransomware

Ilya Levin ilevin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 00:47:16 EDT 2008

Allen <netsecurity at sound-by-design.com> wrote:
> Agreed, but..., well there is the small matter of figuring out /who/ is
> doing it and that just might require some small bit of technology.

Certainly, it is not mutual exclusive. However factor an RSA key
hardly can help with that.

> At least two defects in this thinking. A) How do we know *a* person did the
> coding? B) Who defines what is "illegal" code?

A) All the authorities ever need is always *a* person, and then they can do
the rest. In this particular case the *real* solution of the problem would be
trace the money dropper and bust the chain. The only required cryptanalysis
here is a thermo-rectal one.

B) It not about legal or illegal code, it is not about a code at all.
Blackmailing
for ransom is a crime and demanding a ransom for digital assets does not
make this any different. A crime must be addressed as a crime in a first place.

Ilya
--
http://www.literatecode.com