the joy of "enhanced" certs

Allen netsecurity at sound-by-design.com
Wed Jun 4 18:40:04 EDT 2008

Perry E. Metzger wrote:

[snip]

> I'm thinking of starting a CA that sells "super duper enhanced
> security" certs, where we make the company being certified sign a
> document in which they promise that they're absolutely trustworthy.
> To be really sure, we'll make them fax said document in on genuine
> company letterhead, since no one can forge letterhead.

ROTFLMGO!

But I've got one better for you. The domain name registrar that I
have been using went out of business and the domain names were
handed over to another registrar. In order to gain control of
them again I have to:

> 1. Create a free login ID at www.eNomCentral.com (your domain will not be there just yet)
>
> 2. In order to verify domain ownership, please do one of the following:
> a) send a copy of your photo ID matching the WHOIS record for the domain or
> b) send a receipt reflecting past payment for the domain
>
> 3. Please send an email with your login ID, domain name and domain ownership verification to: CustomerCare at eNom.com

When I asked how they wanted the ID they said a scan of a picture
of me attached to the e-mail!

Photoshop anyone?

Best,

Allen