Can we copy trust?

Bill Soley william.soley at sun.com
Mon Jun 2 23:35:57 EDT 2008

[Moderator's note: Please do not top post. --Perry]

I am thinking that trust is a relationship.  "A trusts B".  So if you
start with "A trusts B" and you do some operation that results in "C
trusts B" then you have not copied anything because "A trusts B" is
not equal to "C trusts B".  You can't call that operation a "copy".
I can't think of any scenario where it even makes sense to talk about
copying trust.  The closest thing I can think of would be a document,
or record in a database, or a certificate, or similar thing that
reminds me that "I trust X".  That is consistent with Bill Frantz's
comment on memory.  (hi Bill)  I can copy the reminder, but that
doesn't copy the trust.  The trust exists, it seems to me, with or
without the reminder (even if I have temporarily forgotten about it).

Kind regards,

-Bill