Protection mail at rest

Ivan Krstić krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu
Sun Jun 1 11:36:55 EDT 2008

On Jun 1, 2008, at 12:07 AM, Victor Duchovni wrote:
> Not much demand for this yet, so I don't expect mature offerings any
> time soon. We'd have to build a boutique service for cipher-punks.

I doubt there'll ever be much demand. The tinfoil hat crowd will be
bothered by the n-1 hops (and however many Narus boxes in between)
being traversed unencrypted, while most everyone else seemingly
doesn't care and uses GMail/Hotmail/YahooMail, forfeiting any
expectation of privacy right from the start.

The easiest thing for people who _do_ care is still running their own
mail server. The emergence of reasonably priced VM hosting providers
(e.g. slicehost.com) makes it fairly uncomplicated, modulo initial
setup.

--
Ivan Krstić <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> | http://radian.org