On the "randomness" of DNS

Philipp Gühring pg at futureware.at
Thu Jul 31 05:28:43 EDT 2008

Hi,

I would suggest to use http://www.cacert.at/random/ to test the
randomness of the DNS source ports. Due to the large variety of
random-number sources that have been tested there already, it's useful
as a classification service of unknown randomly looking numbers.
You just have to collect 12 MB of numbers from a DNS server and upload
it there. (If you get 2 Bytes per request, that's 6 million requests you
have to do)

>> I don't see the point of evaluating the quality of a random number
>> generator by statistical tests.

We successfully used statistical tests to detect broken random number
generators, we informed the vendors and they fixed them.
http://www.cacert.at/cgi-bin/rngresults

Best regards,
Philipp Gühring