Surveillance, secrecy, and ebay, monor correction.

David G. Koontz david_koontz at xtra.co.nz
Sun Jul 27 22:14:00 EDT 2008

David G. Koontz wrote:
> Sherri Davidoff wrote:

You know how memory is, little things get squishy with the passage of years.
As soon as I saw the post up on cryptography I asked myself was that 1972 or
1974?

>Privacy Act of 1972

That should be 1974.
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode05/usc_sec_05_00000552---a000-notes.html

Public law 93-579  "The Privacy Act of 1974"

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode05/usc_sec_05_00000552---a000-.html
5 USC 552a  Records maintained on individuals.

(10) establish appropriate administrative, technical, and physical
safeguards to insure the security and confidentiality of records and to
protect against any anticipated threats or hazards to their security or
integrity which could result in substantial harm, embarrassment,
inconvenience, or unfairness to any individual on whom information is
maintained;

The quoted section (10) being the basis for finding harm on disclosure.

I remember seeing the Federal Register notice for the Digital Encryption
Standard, in 1977, mind you.