cleartext SSH, Truecrypt, etc passwords in memory

Sherri Davidoff alien at MIT.EDU
Fri Jul 25 11:28:15 EDT 2008

Hello all. During the past few months, I've been poking around Linux
memory and consistently finding cleartext login, SSH, email, IM,
Truecrypt and root passwords. I've just finished a paper which includes
detailed location and context information for each password. Given the
recent buzz about cold boot memory dumping, it seems the risk associated
with cleartext passwords in memory has increased.

You can find the paper here:

http://philosecurity.org/research/cleartext-passwords-linux/

There are also a couple snippets of process memory up there for folks to
play with. Thought this might be of interest to folks on this list.

Sherri

--
http://philosecurity.org