Kaminsky finds DNS exploit

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Tue Jul 22 10:09:00 EDT 2008

Udhay Shankar N <udhay at pobox.com> writes:
> Kaminsky Breaks DNS
[...]
> Unlike other researchers who give up the gory details, Kaminsky took a
> wiser path by smiling and nodding. He’ll give up the goods at Black
> Hat in August. That should give folks enough time to patch their
> systems.

The details of the exploit (or at least an exploit just as bad) have
now leaked. I'm not surprised -- any secret known by more than one
person doesn't remain secret for long, and what one person can figure
out can be figured out by others.

Still, it was good that we had a couple extra weeks to patch.

Perry