Dutch chipmaker sues to silence security researchers

Allen netsecurity at sound-by-design.com
Thu Jul 10 13:58:36 EDT 2008

Ali, Saqib wrote:
> Dutch chipmaker NXP Semiconductors has sued a university in The
> Netherlands to block publication of research that details security
> flaws in NXP's Mifare Classic wireless smart cards, which are used in
> transit and building entry systems around the world.

Ah, more 3 monkeys syndrome? If a flaw exists but nobody knows about
the details, it no longer exists? If we don't publish the evidence
about the Earth being round, then it will stay flat, right? Perhaps
NXP merely wants to secure the job continuity of sys admins,
compliance, and security people, do you think?

Given that those in charge rarely listen in any case, perhaps they
are trying to promote stress related health problems in a secret
conspiracy with doctors. ;->

Best,

Allen