"Securing the Network against Web-based Proxies"

James S. Tyre jstyre at jstyre.com
Wed Jul 9 22:56:39 EDT 2008

At 06:58 PM 7/9/2008 -0400, Leichter, Jerry wrote:
>Ah, where the web is going.  8e6 Technologies sells a hardware box
>that it claims does signature analysis to detect HTTP proxies and
>blocks them.  It can also block HTTPS proxies "that do not have a
>valid certificate" (whatever that means), as well as do such things
>as block IM, force Google and Yahoo searches to be done in Safe
>mode, and so on.
>
>They're marketing this to the education community (with the typical
>horror stories of the problems your school district can run into
>if students use proxies to get around your rules).
>
>What I find most interesting, though, is that the company, based
>in California, has an overseas presence in exactly two other
>countries:  Taiwan and China.  One doesn't need much imagination
>to see what market they are going after there....

Ah, the memories.  8e6 is the censorware company formerly known as
both X-Stop and Log-On Data, that scoured the interwebs with its
notorious Mudcrawler.  One of our reports:
http://censorware.net/reports/xstop/index.html

James S. Tyre                                      jstyre at jstyre.com
Law Offices of James S. Tyre          310-839-4114/310-839-4602(fax)
10736 Jefferson Blvd., #512               Culver City, CA 90230-4969
Co-founder, The Censorware Project             http://censorware.net
Policy Fellow, Electronic Frontier Foundation     http://www.eff.org