Strength in Complexity?

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Mon Jul 7 05:07:15 EDT 2008

Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman at vpnc.org> end:

>Wrong. There is no requirement to "ignore everything else in the
>cert". There is simply no requirement to use that material.

I suspect we're in violent agreement over this, just from two different
persepectives.  From a security threat-modelling view I have to look at what
the worst is that can happen if I deploy a cert (or whatever else it is I'm
deplying).  Since the spec says that an implementation is free to ignore every
single extension in a trust anchor/root cert then I have to assume that no
extension I put in a root cert will ever be enforced (it *might* be, but it's
not safe to rely on it).  From an optimist's point of view the spec is
guaranteeing that extensions will be enforced.  From a paranoid security
person's point of view the spec is guaranteeing that no extensions will be
enforced.  I'm in the latter camp.

Peter.