German banks liable for phishing (really: keylogging) attacks

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Fri Jul 4 16:43:32 EDT 2008

* Stephan Neuhaus:

> This article: http://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/0,1518,563606,00.html
> (sorry, German only) describes a judgment made by a German district
> court which says that banks are liable for damages due to phishing
> attacks.

"District court" may be a bit misleading, it's the entry-level court for
this particular type of dispute, at the lowest place in the hierarchy.

> In the case in question, a customer was the victim of a
> keylogger even though he had the latest anti-virus software installed,

The "latest" part is not clear.  I'm also puzzled that forensics could
not recover the actual malware.

(A keylogger alone is not quite good enough--you need to disrupt
transmission of the one-time password to the bank's server if you want
to to use the password later on.  OTOH, the disruption component does
not necessarily appear in AV descriptions.)

> and lost 4000 Euro. The court ruled that the bank was liable because
> the remittance in question had demonstrably not been made by the
> customer and therefore the bank had to take the risk.

Well, the open question is not whether the bank has to take the risk
(after all, the transaction has been successfully disputed, even before
the case went to court), but if the customer was negligent and needs to
share some of the damage.

For instance, if a computer takes 15 minutes to boot, constantly
displays pop-up ads, and sporadically shows error messages during
browsing, I would hope that it's reasonable to assume that the machine
is not safe for on-line banking--no matter what the anti-virus says
about the state of the machine.