WoW security: now better than most banks.

Anne & Lynn Wheeler lynn at garlic.com
Fri Jul 4 12:59:22 EDT 2008

Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> My bank doesn't provide any sort of authentication for logging in to
> bank accounts other than passwords. However, Blizzard now allows you
> to get a one time password keychain frob to log in to your World of
> Warcraft account.

post in thread here a yr ago (1jul07) about financial institutions
attempting some
(disastrous) deployments in the 99/00 time-frame ... and then instead of
taking
blame for deployment problems ... there was quickly spreading opinion
that hardware
tokens weren't practical in the consumer market place
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aadsm27.htm#34 The bank fraud blame game

as noted in another post ... the disastrous failures were somewhat a case of
institutional knowledge not permeating different part of the organizations.

banking conferences in the mid-90s were attributing the existing online
banking
migration to the internet in large part motivated by significant
customer support
problems with serial port modems (mostly with the serial port part).
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aadsm27.htm#38 The bank fraud blame game

that even if a little bit of the experience form the earlier online banking
programs had carried over into the later hardware token deployments ...
much of the deployment problems could have been averted.

In any case, the claim could be made that the industry is still attempting
to recover from those disasters.

a couple other posts on the same subject in other threads:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007n.html#65 Poll: oldest computer thing
you still use
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007t.html#22 'Man in the browser' is new
threat to online banking