VaultID

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Sun Jan 27 21:12:06 EST 2008

"Leichter, Jerry" <leichter_jerrold at emc.com> writes:
>Anyone know anything about these guys?  (www.vaultid.com).  They are trying
>to implement one-time credit card numbers on devices you take with you -
>initially cell phones and PDA's, eventually in a credit card form factor.
>The general idea seems good, but their heavy reliance on fingerprint
>recogition is troubling (though it may be appropriate in their particular
>application).

>From what I can gather from their black text on a dark-grey background, all
they're implementing is one-time CC numbers on various devices.  Banks have
been using one-time CC numbers for awhile now, all this is doing is garnishing
them with an extra layer of biometric magic.  The important thing isn't the
biometrics, it's the one-use-only CC number that provides the security, and
that's not really new.

Peter.