more terrorist crypto hype

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Fri Jan 25 12:02:53 EST 2008

There has been more hype about "Jihadist" crypto software lately. For
example:

http://www.eetimes.com/rss/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=205918680

I'll note that the presumed users would probably be better off
with a well vetted program like GPG. I'll also note that there is
literally no way to prevent people from writing such software, since
they are non-US nationals living outside the US. (As much as we would
like US law to apply to all foreigners living abroad, that's not how
the world works.)

None the less, I'll predict that this "news", which has been hyped in
several places of late, will be brought up by some as a reason why we
must restrict crypto exports, never mind that this "solution" would in
no way alter the availability of cryptographic software to terrorists,
any more than New York City gun control regulations would prevent
AK-47s from reaching fighters in Congo.

Perry
Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com