"I am ashamed of you. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance"

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Thu Jan 10 13:14:24 EST 2008

* Ben Laurie:

> On 10/01/2008, Florian Weimer <fw at deneb.enyo.de> wrote:
>> Has anybody read the original column/editorial/whatever in the Sunday
>> Times and can tell whether Mr Clarkson has, in fact, claimed that he
>> actually lost money?
>
> Yes, a standing order for £500 per month to a charity, IIRC.

The reports I've seen claimed that this was a direct debit transaction.
This means that a (supposedly properly vetted) organization approaches
the bank, claims it's been properly authorized by the account holder,
and requests transfer of money from that account.

A standing order is an instruction to the bank, issued by the account
holder, that a fixed amount of money shall be transferred at fixed
intervals until further notice (for instance, in Germany, it's typically
used to pay your monthly rent).

Direct debit sounds dangerous, but there's a money-back guarantee by the
bank.  This is why I find it unlikely that Mr Clarkson has actually lost
money.  And if you read them carefully, some of the reports do not claim
that he did.

Setting up a standing order typically requires that the attacker
sucessfully impersonates the account holder to the bank.  The attacker
should need more information to mount this kind of attack than what Mr
Clarkson published.

(To our U.S. readers: Your banking system is hopelessly antiquated, so
don't worry if this doesn't make any sense to you.)