Death of antivirus software imminent

Ivan Krstić krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu
Mon Jan 7 08:16:47 EST 2008

On Jan 5, 2008, at 3:47 AM, Alexander Klimov wrote:
> It sounds like: we cannot make secure OS because it is too large --
> let us don't bother to make a smaller secure OS, just add some more
> software and hardware to an existent system and then it will be
> secure. Sounds like a fairytale

I don't think this is really being said. In fact, I've been pretty
concretely saying "here's an OS not designed from scratch, but with
certain pieces modified, that's likely to be extremely resistant to
viruses, malware and other pests", in regard to the OS being designed
for the OLPC. We're still implementing large chunks of the security
system, but my spec[0] has been public for a year, our security
working group contains a number of people from this list, and no one
so far has claimed that this design won't successfully resist most --
though not all -- classes of attacks we've seen or can presently
imagine seeing in the desktop security realm.

[0] http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Bitfrost

--
Ivan Krstić <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> | http://radian.org