DRM for batteries

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Mon Jan 7 01:07:37 EST 2008

Izaac <izaac at setec.org> writes:

>The calculus here has little to do with unit profit margins.  It has
>everything to do with mitigating product liability suits, recalls, and bad
>press.  (You won't read a report of "Chiwonkistan Knock-off Battery Destroys
>WidgetCo Laptop".  You'll read the report "WidgetCo Laptop Catches Fire.")

The device is also sold for use in other high-profit-margin items like laser
printer toner cartridges and ink tanks.  While I can certainly see the point
of your argument as applied to batteries, I haven't heard of too many toner
cartridges exploding recently, and given the extensive bad press given to
dubious tactics like "starter cartridges" I don't think the printer
manufacturers are that worried about publicity issues (the printer ink/toner
market is definitely a racket, and has been documented in some detail
elsewhere).

Peter.