DRM for batteries

Jason jason at lunkwill.org
Fri Jan 4 17:50:09 EST 2008

On Fri, 4 Jan 2008, Leichter, Jerry wrote:
> Over all, I find it hard to see how such a product can really make
> sense, however.  If there's enough money to make it worth trying to keep
> the clone makers out, there's enough money in it for the clone makers to
> be willing to invest in determining the secret information.  Given the

Thanks to the DMCA anti-circumvention clause, your access control mechanism
need not actually work.  This is fortunate (for them) given that in many
contexts there doesn't actually exist something that could be expected to
work.  So we let them, in effect, put a sticker on the side that magically
increases the legal penalties for doing things they don't like.