Death of antivirus software imminent

Jason jason at lunkwill.org
Wed Jan 2 22:14:10 EST 2008

On Wed, 2 Jan 2008, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> Cryptography provides authentication and integrity.  It does not
> provide authorization, nor does it provide protection against bugs.
> Your suggested approach -- better OS and better crypto -- is exactly
> what's failed for the last 25 years.

You're painting with too broad a brush.  Creating artificial life failed;
security just fails to get adopted.

Authentication is exactly what I need in the case of spam/phishing: did that
really come from my bank?  Did it come from someone I've interacted with
before?  Some people sign their messages automatically, some people's mail
readers automatically check.  It works great for those who put in the effort.

And you gave examples of OS techniques which mitigate risks in buggy apps.
Privilege escalation makes bad malware into horrible malware.

So good OS and crypto are important, and we've done good work in learning how
to build them correctly.  You're right that they've failed in the marketplace,
but economics and psychology were the motivating factors.  We just need to
send our grad students over to those departments to figure out how to overcome
those hurdles.