Question on export issues

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Tue Jan 1 16:34:23 EST 2008

* Ivan Krstić:

> We've recently had to jump through the BIS crypto export hoops at
> OLPC. Our systems both ship with crypto built-in and, due to their
> Fedora underpinnings, allow end-user installation of various crypto
> libraries -- all open-source -- through our servers. It was a
> nightmare; the regulations and paperwork appear to be designed for the
> use case of individual applications that utilize a handful of
> primitives and attempt to keep the user from examining or modifying
> the utilized crypto. Trying to fit a Linux distribution into this
> model proved, er, challenging.

Debian has been filing notices for crypto export for years (at BXA for
some time; nowadays, it's likely BIS).  So far, nobody there has
complained that what is being done is insufficient.

Here are some details: <http://www.debian.org/legal/cryptoinmain>
The actual process may have changed a bit over the years.