cold boot attacks on disk encryption

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Thu Feb 21 15:39:58 EST 2008

Hi,

I'm one of the coauthors of the paper and I'd love to chime in.

Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> "Ali, Saqib" <docbook.xml at gmail.com> writes:
>> This methods requires the computer to be "recently" turned-on and unlocked.
>
> No, it just requires that the computer was recently turned on. It need
> not have been "unlocked" -- it jut needed to have keying material in RAM.

This is correct.

>> So the only way it would work is that the victim unlocks the disks
>> i.e. enter their preboot password and turn off the computer and
>> "immediately" handover (conveniently) the computer to the attacker so
>> that the attacker remove the DRAM chip and store in nitrogen.
>
> LN2 is pretty trivial to get your hands on, and will remain happy and
> liquid in an ordinary thermos for quite some hours or longer. However,
> the authors point out that canned air works fine, too.

Yes, this is also correct. Canned air is often found in server rooms. An
attacker might not even need to bring anything with them to leverage
this attack.

>> And the attacker has to do all this in less then 2 seconds.... :)
>
> No, they may even have minutes depending on the RAM you have.

This is an important point. Without cooling, it's not merely a matter of
a second or less. This is a common misconception that even in light of
new evidence is difficult to believe. I think reading our paper and
understanding our graphs should help with this.

>> Or am I missing something?
>
> People readily assume that rebooting or turning off a computer wipes
> RAM. It doesn't. This is just more evidence that it is bad
> to assume that the contents of RAM are gone even if you turn off the
> machine.

Yes. General purpose memory isn't a safe place to store keying material
and software countermeasures are a step behind. Even with obfuscated key
schedules or strange byte ordering, the physical properties of the
memory chips are going to be difficult to overcome.

As our paper states: "There is no easy solution to this problem."

I'm happy to field questions if this is the proper forum.

Best,
Jacob Appelbaum