cold boot attacks on disk encryption

Ali, Saqib docbook.xml at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 15:14:45 EST 2008

After thinking about this a bit, i have changed my views on this
attack. i think it is quite easy to perform this attack. i myself have
been in similar situations, where my personal computer could have been
easily compromised by this attack

However, the hardware based encryption solutions like (Seagate FDE)
would easily deter this type of attacks, because in a Seagate FDE
drive the decryption key never gets to the DRAM. The keys always
remain in the Trusted ASIC on the drive.

--
Saqib Ali, CISSP, ISSAP
http://www.full-disk-encryption.net