Problems with the SRP Protocol paper?

Jonathan Herzog jherzog at jonathanherzog.com
Sun Feb 17 16:02:27 EST 2008

Greetings--

A new list-member here, so please forgive me if this is off-topic or
has been discussed before. However, I've recently discovered a
problem with the proof of security for the Secure Remote Password
(SRP) Protocol, and Ivan Krstic recommended that I ask about it here.

In particular: The SRP protocol is a password-based authenticated key-
exchange protocol that has been recently added to the TLS standard
[RFC 5054] and the IEEE standard P1363.2. It is based on Diffie-
Hellman, and claims to have all sorts of security properties.
However, the original paper on the protocol [Wu, 1997] is somewhat
unsatisfying from a mathematical viewpoint. First, it fails to
rigorously define the properties the protocol is to meet, and gives
only English-language intuitions. Secondly, it sometimes fails to
argue that the protocol meets even those intuitions. Lastly, some of
the crucial arguments of security are flawed in deep, deep ways.

The first two types of problems above are perhaps forgivable: the
paper was published back in 1997 and cryptographers are still arguing
today about how exactly to formally define security for these kinds
of protocols. The last problem, however, is more worrisome. In
particular, the 'proof' of security for SRP shows (correctly) that in
certain cases, the problem of breaking SRP is exactly the same as
breaking Diffie-Hellman. That is, Diffie-Hellman is a *special case*
of SRP. Therefore, if one can break *all* instances of SRP, then one
can break Diffie-Hellman and thus SRP is as secure as Diffie-Hellman.

However, this last step is wrong, at least in the area of
cryptography. If we were talking about NP-completeness, then yes,
this argument would work. But in crypto, we can't necessarily judge a
crypto primitive by its hardest case.  We need to talk about the
ability of the adversary to break a non-negligible *fraction* of
cases. After all, the above 'proof' of security leaves open the
possibility that it is easy to break those instances of SRP (the vast
majority, actually) which *don't* directly encode a Diffie-Hellman
problem.

Of course, this flaw in the proof can be fixed. It is straightforward
to do the proof right, and to show that a random instance of a Diffie-
Hellman problem can be transformed into a random instance of the SRP
protocol. But the flaw in the paper is worrisome. Is this a known
problem that has been addressed by later literature? Does anyone know
of an analysis of SRP that measures the protocol against any of the
recently-formulated definitions of security [Bellare & Rogaway 1994;
Bellare, Pointcheval & Rogaway 2000, Canetti et al 2005]? In other
words, do we know more about the security of SRP than is contained in
the original 1997 paper?

Thanks.

--
Jonathan Herzog