Toshiba shows 2Mbps hardware RNG

Alexander Klimov alserkli at inbox.ru
Sun Feb 17 04:59:33 EST 2008

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008, Dave Korn wrote:
> On 11 February 2008 17:37, Crawford Nathan-HMGT87 wrote:
> > I'm wondering if they've considered the possibility of EMI skewing
> > the operation of the device, or other means of causing the device
> > to genearate "less than completely random" numbers.
>
>   Not necessarily a problem, although it does depend on their
> design.  Even if by saturating the chip in an intense EM field you
> can skew the result almost all the way to 1 or 0, won't the standard
> debiassing trick of examining successive pairs of bits handle that?

It depends on the attack: Consider John von Neumann's algorithm
that, say, outputs the first bit in each pair if bits are
different. If you apply EM attack and get 0s almost everywhere

 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 10 00 00 10 00 00

but cannot control where 1s are exactly, then JvN corrector helps, but
if your EM attack is such that it makes long runs of 0s and 1s

 00 00 00 11 11 11 10 00 00 00 01 11 11

and you can detect when the bits are produced then you know exactly
what bits are produced (if a bit produced on transition from 0s to 1s
then it is 0).

Considering speed of nondeterministic RNG, it seems pointless at least
for those who go thru FIPS certification. FIPS 140-2 says

  Commercially available nondeterministic RNGs may be used for
  the purpose of generating seeds for Approved deterministic
  RNGs. [...] An Approved RNG shall be used for the generation
  of cryptographic keys used by an Approved security function.
  The output from a non-Approved RNG may be used 1) as input
  (e.g., seed, and seed key) to an Approved deterministic RNG or
  2) to generate initialization vectors (IVs) for Approved
  security function(s).

and currently there is no Approved nondeterministic RNG, so the
only option is to use nondeterministic RNG to generate seeds
for the deterministic one and one does not need MBps speed to
generate a seed.

But again, comparing a useful feature and a check mark on
marketing slides, the latter is doomed to be implemented.

--
Regards,
ASK