Open source FDE for Win32

Dave Korn dave.korn at artimi.com
Wed Feb 13 14:26:12 EST 2008

On 11 February 2008 04:13, Ali, Saqib wrote:
> I installed TrueCrypt on my laptop and ran some benchmark tests/
>
> Benchmark Results:
> http://www.full-disk-encryption.net/wiki/index.php/TrueCrypt#Benchmarks

  Thanks for doing this!

> Cons:
> 1) Buffered Read and Buffered Transfer Rate was almost halved after
> TrueCrypt FDE was enabled :-(.

  Yes, to almost the exact same rate as sequential reads.  I'm guessing it
simply doesn't implement look-ahead decryption.  It might even be a positively
good idea to not decrypt anything until you're specifically asked.

> 3) The initial encryption of the 120 GB HDD took 2 hours.

  You think a 1GB/min encryption rate is so slow as to count as a "con"?  I
think that's fairly reasonable.  My lightly loaded AMD64x2 box just took 48s
to copy a 584MB file from one place to another on a first trial, and between
26s and 39s on 'hot' retests.

  Or are you suggesting that it could encrypt each block OTF when it's first
accessed, or run the encryption in the background while the system was still
live, instead of converting the whole drive in one big bite?

    cheers,
      DaveK