TLS-SRP & TLS-PSK support in browsers (Re: Dutch Transport Card Broken)

Ian G iang at systemics.com
Sun Feb 10 09:16:55 EST 2008

Peter Gutmann wrote:

> There's always the problem of politics.  You'd think that support for a free
> CA like CAcert would also provide fantastic marketing opportunities for free
> browser like Firefox, but this seems to be stalled pretty much idefinitely
> because since CAcert doesn't charge for certificates, including it in Firefox
> would upset the commercial CAs that do (there's actually a lot more to it than
> this, see the interminable flamewars on this topic on blogs and whatnot for
> more information).

The situation with CAcert and Mozo is fairly simple.

Mozo ran a long and open design exercise for a CA policy,
which specifies that each CA requires an audit [1].  CAcert
hasn't got an audit [2].

Mozo did indeed work quite hard to give CAcert and others
some more open access to the process.  One could debate the
wisdom of having an audit at all, or ascribe the motives to
politics, or whatever [3] ... in the end, Mozo moved a
considerable distance by opening up the process to
non-financial-audit firms and to criteria from
non-consortium authors [4].

CAcert also now conducts an open process [5], so it is much
easier to talk about the audit.  It is well advanced on the
policy side, only lacking one or two critical policies which
are works-in-progress.  Audits generally deliver reports
that say things like "management has put in place procedures
and policies..." so CAcert is in good shape here.

Where the audit has stalled is on the systems side (and the
missing policies are all on that side as well).  CAcert will
either solve their systems problems or die in the attempt.
My current estimate is that if CAcert moves seriously to
solve the systems problems, then it may have the audit by
early 2009.  If not, not.

You can read more about it [6] or ask me or them or join
their many mail lists, etc etc.

iang

[1]  The process was led by Frank Hecker on the open mozo
security maillist.  I was part of that process, as was Duane
(founder of CAcert), because it was an open process.
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/certs/policy/
IMO, the Mozo CA policy project was a great case study in
open security, and should be copied by others, including
other Mozo security processes.

[2] By way of disclosure, I am the auditor.  Minutes of most
recent published audit report:
http://wiki.cacert.org/wiki/AuditPresentations

[3] FTR I argued against the requirements for audits.

[4] The case for audits was significantly weakened when
rumours spread of audited CAs conducting MITMs on their own
customers, and the logical claim that this was permitted
under audit as long as it was disclosed, sort of, somewhere,
maybe.  This was crucial in shifting consensus to allow
competition in audit criteria and auditors.

[5] Due to direction from Greg Rose (retiring President) and
a funding deal with NLnet that imposes frequent public reports.

[6]
http://wiki.cacert.org/wiki/Audit