Toshiba shows 2Mbps hardware RNG

Danilo Gligoroski gligoroski at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 10 03:14:58 EST 2008

At 04:02 AM 2/10/2008, Peter Gutmann wrote:
>"Perry E. Metzger" <perry at piermont.com> writes:
>
><\snip
>So your potential market for this is people running Monte Carlo simulations
>who don't like PRNGs.  Seems a bit of a limited market...

I think that the market is a little bit bigger than just applications
running Monte Carlo simulations.
For example, Gambling industry - which is also multi-billion industry
world-wide.

Since this news have been discussed in this cryptographic mailing
list, I would be interested when
some of the cryptographers test this device too. The device produces
stream of random bits with a
speed of 2Mbps, but in the article there is nothing about the
cryptographic strength of the produced
stream. It can produce statistically qualitative uniform random bits,
but still to be cryptographically
weak.

Danilo!