Truecrypt Encryption (WAS: Fwd: [IP] Re: Encrypted laptop poses legal dilemma)

David Chessler chessler at capaccess.org
Sat Feb 9 23:18:38 EST 2008

I forwarded a couple of messages about US Customs seizing computers,
sometimes failing to return them, and demanding passwords. Cellphones
are also sometimes seized. The TSA claims it does not do this. This
can cause problems for people who travel with company-sensitive or
other private information. Some companies avoid the problem by wiping
all data from the laptop and having the user access it by SSL or
other secure method over the network. Other solutions are possible.

The following may be a solution for individual travelers without
access to high-speed internet connections when in the field, or who
lack access to secure connections to a secure server.