Fixing SSL (was Re: Dutch Transport Card Broken)

David Wagner daw at cs.berkeley.edu
Sat Feb 9 20:04:28 EST 2008

Tim Dierks writes:
>(there are totally different reasons that client certs aren't being
>widely adopted, but that's beside the point).

I'd be interested in hearing your take on why SSL client certs aren't
widely adopted.  It seems like they could potentially help with the
phishing problem (at least, the problem of theft of web authenticators
-- it obviously won't help with theft of SSNs).  If users don't know
the authentication secret, they can't reveal it.  The nice thing about
using client certs instead of passwords is that users don't know the
private key -- only the browser knows the secret key.

The standard concerns I've heard are: (a) SSL client supports aren't
supported very well by some browsers; (b) this doesn't handle the
mobility problem, where the user wants to log in from multiple different
browsers.  So you'd need a different mechanism for initially registering
the user's browser.

By the way, it seems like one thing that might help with client certs
is if they were treated a bit like cookies.  Today, a website can set
a cookie in your browser, and that cookie will be returned every time
you later visit that website.  This all happens automatically.  Imagine
if a website could instruct your browser to transparently generate a
public/private keypair for use with that website only and send the
public key to that website.  Then, any time that the user returns to
that website, the browser would automatically use that private key to
authenticate itself.  For instance, boa.com might instruct my browser
to create one private key for use with *.boa.com; later,
citibank.com could instruct my browser to create a private key for
use with *.citibank.com.  By associating the private key with a specific
DNS domain (just as cookies are), this means that the privacy
implications of client authentication would be comparable to the
privacy implications of cookies.  Also, in this scheme, there wouldn't
be any need to have your public key signed by a CA; the site only needs
to know your public key (e.g., your browser could send self-signed
certs), which eliminates the dependence upon the third-party CAs.
Any thoughts on this?