Gutmann Soundwave Therapy

Leichter, Jerry leichter_jerrold at emc.com
Fri Feb 8 09:12:33 EST 2008

| >All of this ignores a significant issue:  Are keying and encryption
| >(and authentication) mechanisms really independent of each other? I'm
| >not aware of much work in this direction.
|
| Is there much work to be done here?  If you view the keyex mechanism
| as a producer of an authenticated blob of shared secrecy and the
| post-keyex portions (data transfer or whatever you're doing) as a
| consumer of said blob, with a PRF as impedance-matcher (as is done by
| SSL/TLS, SSH, IPsec, ..., with varying degrees of aplomb, and in a
| more limited store-and-forward context PGP, S/MIME, ...), is there
| much more to consider?
I don't know.  Can you prove that your way of looking at it is valid?
After all, I can look at encryption as applying a PRF to a data
stream, and authentication as computing a keyed one-way function (or
something) - so is there anything to prove about whether I can choose
and combine them independently?  About whether Encrypt-then-MAC and
MAC-then-Encrypt are equivalent?

I should think by now that we've learned how delicate our cryptographic
primitives can be - and how difficult it can be to compose them in a
way that retains all their individual guarantees.

							-- Jerry